University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan (Italy)
Supervisor: Carlo Antonini
We are looking for a young graduate with a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Materials Science, Chemistry or Engineering, with experience in wetting, coatings and/or adhesion, for a 36-month doctoral position in the area of icephobic coatings.
The candidate will participate as an early-stage researcher (ESR) to the Marie Skłodowska – Curie Innovative Training Network (MSCA-ITN) project: “Directing the immune response through designed nanomaterials” (SURFICE). A project under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
The project will be carried out at University of Milano-Bicocca (Italy), under scientific supervision of Dr. Carlo Antonini (https://en.unimib.it/carlo-antonini) and prof. Massimiliano D’Arienzo (https://en.unimib.it/massimiliano-darienzo), secondments of 3-6 month at different MSCA-ITN partner institutions will be part of the project.
The ESR will be matriculated as doctoral Student of the University of Milano-Bicocca, from which he/she shall obtain the PhD degree in Materials Science and Nanotechnologies.
The project will attempt to generate a new generation of experts in anti-icing technologies.
You project will be structured in the following main phases:
- Fabricate a set of multifunctional siloxane-based polymer nanocomposites.
- Evaluate the mechanical properties, tailored by means of inorganic nanofillers (e.g. SiO2, silica fibres, natural silicates).
- Evaluate wetting properties after tuning by both wet chemistry and solventless iCVD (in collaboration with prof. Anna Maria Coclite, TU Graz),
- Test ice adhesion properties.
- Candidates should have recently obtained a Master’s degree in Materials Science, Chemistry or Engineering, with outstanding grades.
- Strong experimental and theoretical background in at least one of the following topics: wetting, coatings, anti-icing technologies, and adhesion.
- Desirable: background in preparation of non-wetting surfaces.
- Language skills: ENGLISH: Excellent; ITALIAN: oof advantage for the interaction within the University, however not required.
- You have a talent for conceiving experimental hypothesis and can realize them in a target-oriented manner.
Department of Materials Science – U5, Via Roberto Cozzi, 55, 20125 Milano MI, Italy.
Expected starting of the working contract: 1st June 2021.
We look forward to receiving your application until 31st March 2021.
By e-mail to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, to the attention of Dr. Carlo Antonini and Dr. Irene Tagliaro.
Please include the application form and other documents given in the general information. The general information also indicates the ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA, the application requirements and the selection process.
For questions and further information on the position, please contact Dr. Carlo Antonini at firstname.lastname@example.org.